THE BEST BOLTON WANDERERS MESSAGE BOARD
Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!
Latest topics
» testing
Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 am by jayjay23

» Announcement about WAYNEAGAIN
Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Announcement.
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Vladimir Weiss SIGNS ON LOAN
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» JayJay.......
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» klasnic - not a legend.
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» now you see it now you dont... but is it right?
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Bolton shop selling knock off coyle stuff! HAHA
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» jussi? drop?
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Damned United

Go down

Damned United

Post by pthorpe on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:29 pm

Has anyone been to see this movie, and is it worth going to see it. It's appearing here and just started on the weekend and was planning to take it in on Wednesday night.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Re: Damned United

Post by bigsamsarmyusa on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:34 pm

I've not seen it Pete; however, I ordered it on DVD from Amazon.co.uk and am awaiting its arrival.

From everything I've heard and read, it is very good, so I'd give it a try if I were you.
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by laughtoe on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:47 am

excellent movie that evokes the 70's footballing culture, and Cloughie's brilliance. Peter Postelthwaite steals the show as Peter Taylor.
laughtoe
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:21 pm

By the way, Pete, I finally sat down and watched "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas."

I'd heard that it was quite sad and toward the end I had a good idea where the film was heading, so it wasn't a total surprise. However, as with most/all these type of movies regarding the holocaust, it was tragic and sad in its telling.

There has to be a message there regarding keeping the truth and facts from your children because you think they are too young to know how ugly and mean the world and humanity can be.
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Wendy if you think that was a sad movie you might want to see if you can find Shake Hands with the Devil which deals with the genocide in Rwanda in 1994. It is shocking, and shows what a useless, corrupt organization that the UN is. I could go on but get very bitter and angry at the role of the UN in particular and the US and France in general.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Laughtoe that wasn't Pete Postlethwaite playing the Peter Taylor role. Great movie, although they erred by having the current Ram's logo over the players entrance, prior to a visit by Leeds United for a game in the FA Cup when Derby were still in the 2nd Division. If memory serves me correctly the logo came in the following season. Apart from that it was much as I expected, especially the pitches which were like farmers fields.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by laughtoe on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:29 am

You're right, it was Timothy Spall. I often confuse him with PP as they're so similar, and so talented.
laughtoe
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:06 am

Watched Tokyo Sonata (2008) the other night on some god-forsaken cable channel. I didn't know until afterwards it was made by Kurosawa who makes/made all those terrible japanese horror films that always break the rules of physics by inventing some new supernatural power...if it's supernatural the rules don't apply...so how come the 'spirit ghosty dude' can't climb ladders suddenly, I mean...are we to believe this supreme ethereal beast can climb inside your thoughts but it has an issue with heights?

By anyway, where was I...oh yes, bought some new Japanese ladders from B&Q...oh no, the film; subtitled (obviously, unless you speak Japanny), quite slow moving, almost documentary-like about a decent family man who loses his job but pretends otherwise and still leaves the house very day wearing his suit and carrying a briefcase. He's isolated, scared, alone but then discovers there are hundreds of other blokes doing the same thing but because social and family status in Japan works in such a rigid way there are bound to mask the reality in the hope something will eventually turn up.

It's touching, moving and shows a small insight into suburban Japanese family life and not at all as dull as I'm describing it and it ends with a truly uplifting finale.

However, there isn't a single nipple in it and for that I give it 3 out of a 100.

Last edited by breezeblock on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo69 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:00 am

Maybe I expected a bit too much from the film. It was enjoyable to watch, but not quite what I expected.

Got the book of 'Shake hands with the devil' on order for next Thursday.
hampo69
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeywhite on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Glad you posted that Breeze, you've saved me the trouble of watching Tokyo Sonata.
Some tosser told me there were loads of nips in it.
wakeywhite
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Outrageous.
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Mark, I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts after reading the book.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by denn on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:50 am

Pete! as you were around in that era Im sure you will enjoy the film. I enjoyed it.
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:00 am

Pete used to work with Brian Clough...but ssshhh...he doesn't like to talk about it.

::cough::
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Clough was a character, so if someone we know worked with him, why not put that info out there.
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Denn, it was a cracking movie and managers like Cloughie and Shankly were like a breath of fresh air. There's no one in the game today who could hold a candle to them. Has anyone else seen the film?

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 pm

I was going to watch it Pete but the reviews weren't so good and then a few of the ex-pros said it wasn't very realistic and had too many factual errors.

I'll wait until it's shown on cable.
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeywhite on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:05 pm

I got the book today.
Then again, I got a shit-load of books today, so it could be a while before I get round to reading it.

Wasn't going to bother til reading this, so if it's shite I'm blaming Pete.
wakeywhite
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Well, the sooner you find Waldo the sooner you get to read it...
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeywhite on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:22 pm

breezeblock wrote:Well, the sooner you find Waldo the sooner you get to read it...

That's easy for you to say, but why don't the bastards just make him bigger and more obvious? And maybe under a big fuck off arrow?
Don't they realise I've got a proper book with words in to read?
wakeywhite
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm currently reading Where's Bin Laden...
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Breeze, the football action is pathetic and they could have got Sunday League players who could have done a better job, especially the guy playing Billy Bremner who was crap. The fellow portraying Cloughie does a great job juggling the ball before spinning and smashing the ball into an empty net. Mind you I read he was on Arsenals books at one time before going into acting, look like he made the right choice.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:38 pm

Pete, I got the DVD in the mail today so I will try and find time to watch it during the weekend.

Did you know the actor playing Clough has also played Tony Blair in The Queen and I believe he played David Frost in Frost/Nixon.

I'd not heard he played for Arsenal/was on their books. I know he is Welsh, that's about it...plus he's a good actor.
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Yes, I knew he'd played in those movies Wendy, and it's true he was on Arsenals books as a schoolboy and it was a choice to pursue a pro career in football or acting. You can't argue with his acting abilities. I'd be interested to hear your comments about the movie. One strong memory I have is being interviewed by him for the job, it was mainly a blur, but I remember him saying at the end of the interview, in that strong nasally voice " I like your hair young man, but my chairman won't so you'll need to get a short back and sides and we'll see you two weeks on Monday". Back in those days long hair was in fashion, however it was not a problem getting it cut.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:40 pm

What years were you at the club, Pete?
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:05 am

I watched it at the Cinema and I have it on DVD. Obviously, I was too young / not alive to remember much, if any, of Clough's career but I've read quite a bit about him and obviously I am aware of his achievements. From what I was told, he took over Forrest when they were in a similar position to ourselves (league table wise, if little else). I wonder how history would have been written had he joined Bolton? Two European Cup? Anyway......

As for the film, I have heard that there has been various accounts of factual errors. I think Martin O'Neil has commented despite not playing for Clough at Leeds. I know Johnny Giles is a vocal critic which is not suprising as it makes him come accross as a bit of a twat!

He makes a good point though that it is easy to 'rewrite history' when most of the people are dead; Clough, Revie, Bremner, taylor to name a few.

I don't think the film was attempting to create a factual account of his time at Elland Road. I'm sure the producers etc went to great lengths with the background to make sure it was as accurate as possible but, at the end of the day, it is entertainment and no matter how hard they try, someone will always spot something amiss.

I haven't read the book but I've heard that it's much darker than the film and really plays on Clough's alcoholism which the film avoids. I think that is one of the main reasons his family objected to the book as he wasn't battling addiction at his time with Leeds like he was in his later stages at Forrest.

In addition, while it acknowledges his feud and desire to do things better than Revie, and that is a key part of the film, it avoids the hotly disputed tale of him throwing out Revie's desk which I believe occurs in the book.

I thought Michael Sheen did a very good job, as he often does. Ironically enough, since appearing in the Twighshite, sorry Twilight sequal, he's probably experiencing more recognition than ever before. Who needs to play the Prime Minister when you can play a fictional vampire!

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Sorry for not getting to this sooner Wendy but I joined the club in the summer prior to them winning the 2nd division title. If memory serves me correctly Derby thumped Bolton 5-0 at the Baseball Ground so I had definite mixed feelings. The following year, in Div 1, we finished 4th and hammered Spurs 5-0 before a record crowd of over 36,000.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:08 pm

I watched the movie last night. I thought it was fun in parts but in others I thought they could have gone a different route.

I'm not sure why they opted to ping pong back and forth between his time managing both clubs. Surely they could have done a running timeframe and it still have been interesting.

I thought that the portrayal of Clough was very good but I think it was still lacking something; however, that could have been more to do with the writing than the acting.

The Brian Clough that I remember (and that from only seeing him on TV), he came across as a very arrogant, pain in the ass, prick...for want of a better word. I remember I used to get really annoyed at some of the things he said (though I am sure, in hindsight, that he said a lot of what he said for shock factor). I don't think they truly captured that aspect of him.

I didn't know his background, so was unaware of the running hatred of Don Revie.

The portrayal of Billy Bremner, he was made out to be a really d*ck, yet he is revered 'up north'.

I'd forgotten home many famous...and good...players Leeds had back then, so seeing their names and seeing them portrayed was a happy flashback.

Lastly, I think they failed to capture the poor pitch conditions that most all clubs endured back then; however, in watching the extras on the DVD, they said that it took a LOT of effort to get the pitch looking so poor and they paid heavily to "ruin" in pitch they used by covering it deeply in fertilizer then flooding it out.

I thought that Timothy Spall was brilliant as Taylor...he's brilliant in everything he does (check out The Street) for more of his brilliant work. Jim Broadbent...another excellent performance by him, too.

I'd give the movie a B- to a B because I think that they could have delved further and given it a lot more edge because Clough's character is so rich.
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Can't argue too much about your comments Wendy, I to felt they could have done a better job especially on what made Cloughie such a brilliant manager. I'm not sure about the hatred thing for Revie either, although I do know there was no love lost between the two clubs. The one thing I can say about Brian Clough though is he never held a grudge. He could ream you out but once he was finished he moved on, and expected you to do the same. I do think they portrayed Leeds in the correct manner, as they were the most hated team in England because of the way they played. I thought the clip of the Charity Shield encapsulated exactly the type of team Leeds were, dirty, sly and underhanded. Billy Bremner could have been a great player but ruined his play by his antics. The one outstanding player for me was Eddie Gray who was a genius at dribbling and I'll never forget his performance at Wembley, against Chelsea, when he tortured poor David Webb. He was probably the only player who didn't have to resort to being a thug on the field. I thought they did a reasonable job of getting the pitch to resemble the cabbage patches of the 60's and 70's and the Baseball Ground must have been one of the worst in the country, which makes the football played by Derby even more impressive when compared to the other teams in Division 1. Agreed about Timothy Spall who really caught Peter Taylor almost to a tee.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislanz on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:27 am

I rember bolton and forrest being the best two sides batling for promotion, i.m.o. bolton edged forrest football wise, but forrest pipped us at the post, and went on to greatness, whilst we droped like a stone. the game at the city ground was a farce,to be able to walk around the city ground caused endless fights/scuffels between al lot of the then bolton boot boys, the return game at burnden was more or less the same. I would think most if not all of the forrest players of that time thought bolton to be the best footballing side in the division........... It was a time when the burnden paddok was the place to be.................ohh for a football team like that again.

i live in hope.............megson out..............

chrislanz
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeywhite on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:00 am

We won 2nd div title the year after.

Then dropped like a stone!!
wakeywhite
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down