THE BEST BOLTON WANDERERS MESSAGE BOARD
Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» testing
how things change......! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 am by jayjay23

» Announcement about WAYNEAGAIN
how things change......! EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Announcement.
how things change......! EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Vladimir Weiss SIGNS ON LOAN
how things change......! EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» JayJay.......
how things change......! EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» klasnic - not a legend.
how things change......! EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» now you see it now you dont... but is it right?
how things change......! EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Bolton shop selling knock off coyle stuff! HAHA
how things change......! EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» jussi? drop?
how things change......! EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

how things change......!

5 posters

Go down

how things change......! Empty how things change......!

Post by josh8 Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:48 am

for all the older supporters this fixture was always eagerly awaited by both us and Chelsea fans...as the rivalry throughout the 70's between the 2 clubs was intense...!
we had some cracking games both at Burnden and at Stamford Bridge..... who could forget us 3-0 up with 14mins to go..... only to lose 4-3...! there were some pretty intense rivalries off the field too.....! I'll never forget when chelsea fans 'took' the lever end... the only thing was... Bolton fans 'took' chelsea's embankment end at the same time...! actually crossing each othe on the pitch... it was bloody hillarious.. you really had to be there...!
but its just one of those things that pop into my mind whenever we play Chelsea...!
eeeehhh toze wert daze..lol
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

how things change......! Empty Re: how things change......!

Post by wakeywhite Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:42 am

think that was the 2-1 win when they scored all three!
wakeywhite
wakeywhite
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by jayjay23 Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:15 pm

pretty intense rivalries off the field too.....! I'll never forget when chelsea fans 'took' the lever end... the only thing was... Bolton fans 'took' chelsea's embankment end at the same time...! actually crossing each othe on the pitch... it was bloody hillarious

What do you mean?

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeywhite Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Before kick off, Chelsea fans decided to leave the Embankment and head for the Lever End. Bolton fans got out of Lever End and they literally crossed each other on the middle of the pitch.
From memory (patchy cos I was only a nipper at the time) they swapped ends two or three times, crossing on the pitch without any trouble until the coppers came on the pitch with horses, at which point all hell broke loose.

Also remember them ripping up the seats in the Burnden Stand in the 1980's and chucking them down on us in the Paddock. And some daft bastards lobbing them back up, which just meant they had more missiles to hurl at us.
Still, we got new seats in the Burnden Stand from the compensation.
wakeywhite
wakeywhite
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by jayjay23 Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:01 pm

thanks for the story... would have been really something to witness!

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:07 pm

The Lever End at that time was the 'bolton boys' end ... it was boltons 'stretford end' or 'Cop'... all clubs had their 'end' which was supposed to be impregnable.... the embankment end was the 'away' end... Chelsea had a big following then and during the 70's Bolton too had its fair share of idiots.... so on pitch battles wasn't too surprising... especially when teams like Leeds/Burnley/Blackpool and obviously Chelsea came calling....!
all in the distant past now....but really frieghtning at the time.... football hooliganism really was a problem back then and no more so than Bolton.... I was at the Blackpool game when a fan was stabbed to death... even thoug I was only a kid and was no where near the incident I still had my name and address taken .....! we had some hair raising moments in Blackpool in the 70's
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by denn Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:03 pm

An incident from that game will remain with me for ever. We stood in the Manny Road paddock, lever end side, there was always a certain gang who were called the Dobble men ( Daubhill). These Dobble men had a runner who went for the bulls eye browns and pies. This game V Chelsea, the runner had just loaded up with his supply when the Chelsea men began to run accross the pitch in the direction of the Lever End, this certain Chelsea fan ran past our section and was hit smack in the face with a steaming hot pie, the lad went down like a sack of spuds, he then was set upon by a few of these Dobble men who jumped the fence to greet their opposition counterparts. As much as these London louts thought they were the mafia of the south, they sure met their match once they reached the lever end.
Great days, fantastic memories during those times.
I was at Chelsea that night when Graham Row scored for Bolton, unfortnately Osgood was good on the night of the replay.
That day at Blackpool, we had to remain in the Kop end until we were quizzed and allowed to go free. That night whilst we attended the Mecca, there was a bad atmosphere and anyone from Bolton dare not mention their team. I sincerely hope for no more repeats of scenes Ive witnessed during my time watching Bolton.

Denn
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:29 pm

I think blackpool became a war zone for bolton after that because of what had happened....! the police never helped the situation.... the away end was actually there home end.... or a section of it.... so we were sitting ducks as there fans used to brick us..... it was mayhem for a few years.....!
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:31 pm

denn..... I have a feeling I know you..... did you go to ecky....?
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:44 pm

Sounds like our Denn was a footie hooligan back when !!!

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by denn Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:31 pm

I did go to Ecky Josh, yeah!
As for a hooligan in the 70s, no, I was simply a Wanderers fan who went to most away games, no wife, no commitments just a young teeneager without a care in the world. By the way, how many remember the League liner to the Bournmouth game away?.

Denn
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:20 pm

I was the same....... used to get the LUT from punch bowl for all the away games.....! I do know who you are.... you're actually a yr older than me... but I've been bumping into you for yrs up and down the country....... I knew your name was denn and we've let on to each other but I don't think we've ever stopped and spoken..... how wierd is that denn....... I always remember you from school and for some reason I used to think you came from Daisy Hill......! and I seem to remember you being on our bus going to Sunderland away.... I was with Chris Handley.... !! I'll actually speak to you when I next see you in east stand lower.....!
You probably don't remember me because of the name Josh.... my real name is mick...(its a long story why I use the name josh on line....)
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by denn Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:57 am

Blimey Josh, Chris Handley lived on our street before he flew the nest. His father Kenny still exists in the same dwelling. For many years his sister was courting with ex Bolton player Wayne Foster until they decided to call it a day..... Ive been all over the country watching Bolton, Sunderland was one of them when Gary Jones played his best ever game for the Wanderers, he tore sunderland to bits that day...Im actualy a season ticket holder in the West stand lower so an introduction probably may be out the question for a while.
Regards Denn
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 am

thats the game I was talking about.....! I always remember the coach park was next to the pleasure beach...... about 3 miles from the ground...! lol
I was brought up with wayne and used to ferry him to the matches in the early eighties..! I actually saw him a cpl of yrs ago in Tyldesley visiting his mum... he and Gill had A couple of kids.. I think she moved back to Atherton whilst Wayne works for the post Office in Edinburgh....
I'm not sure if you're the person I'm thinking of now... As I thought I'd seen you in the East stand lower...... there's only a cpl of people I've seen and still see from school who go to Wanderers.... Gary Eckersley comes to mind.....!
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by denn Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:49 am

Oh! Gary Eckersley, daft as bush, he works for Keyline in Atherton. Still a Bolton fan but now watches mainly from a pub chair.
Ive always had the seat in the West Stand lower since the stadium opened. Before it did open Brian Scowroft was a director, he is the father in law of one of the lads who got us all seats together. We selected the row Z east stand lower. Out of 28 people who took up the offer of early purchased seats only 4 now remain.

Denn
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:20 am

I know Brian very well......haven't seen him for yrs though....not too sure if he's still associated with the club as he was very close to Gordon Hargreaves... I used to sit in the prawn butty suite.(executive club at burnden, platinum suite at the reebok) until I saw the light and went over to the east stand.....I actually sit on row z on the halfway line.....!
did you mate about with John Gill/Wayne Farnworth....?
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by denn Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:22 am

Brian was the owner of BS Heating who I worked for, Jeanette his Daughter is married to Phill who now owns a plumbing and heating company in Bolton. Brian doesn`t have much dealings with Bolton these days although he remains a fan.
As for the chaps you mentioned, I know them but I dont associate with them.

Denn
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:03 am

I meant at school.......! I don't associate with anybody from school or where I was brought up....all my friends today are actually from my adult life..... my wife's just read this and said she didn't realize this.... and she finds it a little strange.....lol I just think as a child your circumstance determines your friends where you choose for yourself in adulthood....!... thats my theory anyway....lol
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum