THE BEST BOLTON WANDERERS MESSAGE BOARD
Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» testing
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 am by jayjay23

» Announcement about WAYNEAGAIN
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Announcement.
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Vladimir Weiss SIGNS ON LOAN
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» JayJay.......
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» klasnic - not a legend.
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» now you see it now you dont... but is it right?
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Bolton shop selling knock off coyle stuff! HAHA
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» jussi? drop?
Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham

+5
dh1985
bigsamsarmyusa
pthorpe
breezeblock
mangler
9 posters

Go down

Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham Empty Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham

Post by mangler Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Another decent display today, not as fluent as some of our play on Saturday, but decent all the same.

Impressed again with Robbo at LB... the guy has made that spot his own for now; I hope he keeps it up. He's one of that rare breed of Bolton player who actually look comfortable on the ball... we have Taylor, Knight, Muamba, McCann... all players who never want the ball.

Lee was decent after a slow start. Cahill was excellent... winning loads of headers. Even Knight looked fine today, with some really good last ditch tackles.

I just really hope that there are moves afoot to bring Klasnic on board on a permanent deal. The problem we have now is that if he keeps scoring up until January, they'll be plenty of bigger fish sniffing round.

Credit Megson too for having the balls to bring off Klasnic and stick Basham on... West Ham's only joy in that game was 2nd half when Scott Parker and Diamanti were allowed more time on the ball in midfield. I think with having had both Cohen and Muamba booked, we were in Dyer need (see what I did there?) of some more presence and bite in the middle. Basham added that and it was his pressure and long-range effort that lead to the corner for the 3rd goal.
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham Empty Re: Bolton 3 - 1 West Ham

Post by breezeblock Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:55 pm

I agree with all of that except the bit about McCann playing instead of Lee...can't say that's a good idea.
breezeblock
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by mangler Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:59 pm

Yes but McCann is part of a more systematic defensive setup. Lee can't protect the fullbacks, which is no good because we play the narrow-fullback system.

Megson doesn't know how to setup the defence. If Megson knew this, then Lee would be fine... but instead Meggo is tactically inept and should be sacked.

There. I've said it.
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:01 pm

ZOLA OUT!!!!
breezeblock
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:11 pm

Jesus Murphy what game were you watching? That was arguably the worst game I've seen in 2 years, the only memorable moment being the first 2 goals of the game. West Ham were very poor, which was not surprising as they were missing probably their best defender and attacker through injuries. On the other hand we were not much better, and if it wasn't for a shocking mistake by Robert Green we would have been struggling to get a point. The unfortunate part of all this of course is Greens blunder, and the subsequent 3 points, will have conveniently covered Megsons ineptness as a manager

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Megson wouldn't be inept at setting up the back 4 if he'd just listen to Tim's explanation of how to do it right.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Did you watch the game Wendy? One thing that was positive was the performance by both Knight and Robinson, and betweem them they hardly put a foot wrong.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:37 pm

No, about to watch it in a couple of minutes. I found out the result this afternoon, by accident, so I thought I'd do my online stuff before settling in to watch the game.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:49 pm

I'd be interested to get your reaction after you have seen it.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 am

Pete, it was an adequate performance and a good result. We've been playing shockingly and getting beaten every week...we were never likely to turn into Brazil overnight. A strong, battling performance against City and a stronger showing against WHU sends us into the Wigan game in a much better position both on and off the field.

OK, West Ham got the ball downand played it because they have Scott Parker (who would still be my number one signing if money were no object) and we had to sit and watch for periods of time...but we don't have that central midfielder to control the game so the ball will almost always be punted because folk like Knight and Gretar don't have confidence in Muamba and Cohen to play the short pass through the middle.

In the end we just overpowered WHU and we played on their weakness which was their inability to head the ball throughout their team. When a team has that obvious fraility it makes sense to exploit it.
breezeblock
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:15 am

I'd say we were the better team throughout. It wasn't quite as good a performance as the one against City, but we got three points from this one. Plus, we scored six goals in two games. That has to be reason to be cheerful.

I thought we allowed West Ham control of the ball in areas where they couldn't hurt us. When they got into the final third, we were in there quickly and sharply and prevented any real form of goalscoring chance. I though Knight had his best game since joining and him and Chaill both looked solid, although that clean sheet still eludes us. Jussi didn't have a save to make until that Parker shot in the second half, and that came about, in part, from Cahill being out of position from his effort on goal.

I thought that the first half performance was acceptable, certainly far from poor and certainly not bad enough for the players to be booed off at half time by some morons in the crowd (who do we think we are, Chelsea? It was 0-0 and we'd been the better team). We looked the only team to have an attacking intent and we took the game to West Ham but our final ball in the final third wasn't as good as it should have been and, as such, we didn't really test Green.

Second half was better but once we took the lead, I was disapointed we let it slip. True, Green did gift us the momentum again but we're not in a position to be fussy. I still think that there was going going to be one winner in the match, even after the equaliser, and that was not West Ham. Bizarely, this season, especially considering our troubles, I always feel confident that we can score a goal. I cannot recall having such a feeling for quite some time. Even under Allardyce, I never felt this confident about our prospects of goals (except when we had Anelka in his final season). Such a contrast to last season when we failed to score in nearly half the Premiership games.

Doesn't say much for Megson though that, following a season when we couldn't score, he spends £7m on defenders opposed to strikers, and now we can't keep a clean sheet!

While I agree with Breeze that West Ham looked suspect in the air, I thought that, when we did get the ball down and passed it, we looked far more threatening and I was disapointed that we didn't do that more as there were quite a few good moves and link up play which looked quite promising. It can as no suprise to me that when we did open the scoring, it came as a result of a move on the floor. Very neat finish from Chung Young too.

Overall, I came away happy with the performance and more importantly the result.

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by jayjay23 Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:51 am

We were not really any good, come on don't get blinkered by the scoreline, great finish from Lee and good poaching from Klasnic but needed the help og Rob Green Blunderman, Cahill on the score sheet again after very oor defending from them.

The match as a whole tho was pretty poor. Take out the goals and imagine you dont know the end result, rewatch the whole game (minus goals) and you will be saying how damn poor we look. you will still be begging for megsons head on a block.

It never ceases to amaze me that fans so adamant that he has no idea and needs to go can go all soft after we get three points no matter how poor we were.

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:19 am

If we 'took away the goals' (bizare statement but ok) and I watched the game back, I'd still think we were the better team. Jussi barely had a save to make and we were the team on top for 80-90 percent of the match. It wasn't a world class performance by any means, but that's to be expected. I thoughtvwe played well and deserved the victory. If we judged on performances rather than results, we wouldn't look back on Big Sam's era with the same fondness that's for sure!

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislanz Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:02 am

It was big sams era that tagged us with sh*t mindnumbing football

MEGSON OUT.....

chrislanz
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:40 am

Spot on Jay Jay, IF Green had not made that huge blunder I'm sure a lot of people would be having different thoughts today. Our performance and subsequent result is being masked by that one mistake.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by mangler Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:13 am

It was a comfortable win.

When they equalised they had about a 10 minute spell where our fans were having the usual moan, and our lads rocked a bit.

Then Green made his howler. But let's not forget... Klasnic had to be on the ball to nick it - give the lad credit where it's due please!!
He nicked it and then put it away, which changed the game.

I find it laughable to hear nonsense such as, take away the goals and it was a different game, or other such bollox. What utter shite!
I remember sitting there watching us, thinking "this is a walk in the park". We struggled to find any rhythm in the first half... our final passes and such weren't great. Second half (aside from their 10 mins) we were much more troublesome to them; mainly through knock-downs from Davo.
We scored a really good first goal, then did the usual and let them back in, but then punished them for making a mistake. Megson then made a good (and brave in the face of the usual abuse) decision to take Klasnic off and beef up the midfield with Basham. Sure enough, Basham applied the pressure that led to the 3rd killer goal.

Some of you guys need to give yourself a shake.
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by drtobs Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:42 am

You have clearly either forgotton what a reall football match is like my friend or else you never knew in the first place.

Although to your credit your ast post makes sense and has some good points I think jayjay23s arguament is that he can't see how suddenly all is forgotton about Megson being a bad manager.

One or two games where they do alright should not mean all is forgiven when compared to the last year or more of bad bad football.

drtobs

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 am

Define a 'real football match'

No-one has said that yesterday's performance, or Saturday's for that matter, has made Megson a better or worse manager.

All we're saying is that the positives far outweigh the negatives and yesterday's performance was, on the whole, good, even if you take away the goals or Green's mistake or whatever else you have to do to see it your way.

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by tim_rigby Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:39 am

We are still in deep trouble, little or no progress has been made since megson took over. When West Ham scored they looked the more likely team to go on and win, we were very lucky that Green made such a howler. As always we dropped back after we scored, that, for Bolton, is not a percentage way of winning games because we cannot defend, yet every time megson does it. The midfield was a shambles and was totally ineffective once both central midfielders had been booked, Megson should have changed that much sooner, Taylor was dreadful again and he should have been removed at the latest at half time. For goodness sake Megson is such a fool he has admitted that he was considering substituting Klasnic before he scored, the man is a moron. He still has to go.

tim_rigby
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24 pm

I'd definitely not class it as the worst game I've seen this season.

I thought it was "average" and nothing more. But, I really didn't anticipate anything close to Saturday's performance. I just don't think that we have it in us fitness wise to do back to back performance of that level of quality.

You can't really say 'what if' or 'if you take away the Klasnic goal' because you don't know what would have followed if they were removed. Maybe we would have knuckled down and improved greatly; maybe we would have scored 3 or 4 goals rather than the 2 that we did score.

A win is also a great thing, especially these days.

Still,

MEGSON OUT!
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down