THE BEST BOLTON WANDERERS MESSAGE BOARD
Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» testing
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 am by jayjay23

» Announcement about WAYNEAGAIN
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Announcement.
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Vladimir Weiss SIGNS ON LOAN
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» JayJay.......
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» klasnic - not a legend.
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» now you see it now you dont... but is it right?
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Bolton shop selling knock off coyle stuff! HAHA
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» jussi? drop?
under which manager did we play the best football....? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

under which manager did we play the best football....?

+4
denn
bigsamsarmyusa
pthorpe
josh8
8 posters

Go down

under which manager did we play the best football....? Empty under which manager did we play the best football....?

Post by josh8 Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:34 pm

for me it was Colin Todd.... the football was scintilating but he has to go down as an unlucky manager...! from the moment Tranmere fluked that last minute goal at prenton park..(or was it the substitution of brannigan) to the goal that never was against Everton... ans so on and so forth....! but that season we were relegated at Chelsea we played some brilliant football with every other game being a "phew we should of had this" or "we could have had that" and "how many times did we hit the woodwork..?"
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

under which manager did we play the best football....? Empty Re: under which manager did we play the best football....?

Post by pthorpe Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:27 pm

I can't really comment Josh as I never saw too many Bolton games when I lived in England and have probably seen more now that I live in Canada. I do know that Toddy served up some great football and I saw the demolition of Charlton at Burnden when we clinched the old 2nd division championship. Colin Todd was also was one of the all time greats of English football as a defender.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

under which manager did we play the best football....? Empty Re: under which manager did we play the best football....?

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

I also am unable to comment because I left England during or right after the Jimmy Armfield era and didn't have access to follow them until the Sam Allardyce years.

We were blessed with some talent under both the above managers and could, on our day, play some very entertaining stuff.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by denn Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:27 am

Personaly for me it was when Ian Greaves was manager and Frankie Worthy was playing. But at the Reebok it has to be Todd. I enjoyed watching the team whilst Toddy was manager.

Denn
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by battle59 Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:58 am

Ian Greaves for me too, Peter Thompson, Willie Morgan, Frank Worthington etc. we were known as the liverpool of the 2nd div, eeee those wert dayz.

battle59

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:33 am

I wonder what the response would have been in 1997 if we had been offered the chance to stay up but by playing poor football for the majority of the season. Would we have taken it?

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by Haydock Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:34 am

Unquestionably the best defensive era:

Hopkinson, Hartle, Banks, Hennin, Higgins, Edwards

and not a bad strike force:

Birch, Stevens, Lofthouse, Parry, Holden

So, it would be Bill Ridding for me.

Haydock
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by tim_rigby Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 am

Recently I would say Rioch, totally fearless, remember that night at Anfield. I am only thirty so I can't remember much before Phil Neal although I did start going before then. Todd was ok but I think he was just reaping the rewards of Rioch's work as time went on the team got worse and worse under him, so I would say he was very lucky to have such a legacy.

tim_rigby
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by battle59 Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 am

wasn't Colin Todd part of the Rioch regime ?

battle59

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:12 pm

but it was todd who brought in Frandsen, Johansen, Blake, Eidur, Ricardo, Jussi, Fish, Scot Sellers, Claus Jensen, Robbie Elliot..... infact if anything rioch rode on the back of Phil Neal, who could spot a good player but never got the best out of them....I'm finding it hard to remember any rioch signings apart from McGinlay and Brannigan......! another example of you talking through you're arse tim.....!
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by denn Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:45 pm

And not forgetting , Arnar Gunnlaugsson. He was superb when the side was going forward, good to watch.

Denn
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum