THE BEST BOLTON WANDERERS MESSAGE BOARD
Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» testing
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 am by jayjay23

» Announcement about WAYNEAGAIN
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Announcement.
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Vladimir Weiss SIGNS ON LOAN
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» JayJay.......
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» klasnic - not a legend.
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» now you see it now you dont... but is it right?
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Bolton shop selling knock off coyle stuff! HAHA
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» jussi? drop?
was mick mccarthy proved right ??? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

was mick mccarthy proved right ???

+7
pthorpe
bigsamsarmyusa
dh1985
jayjay23
holty2
breezeblock
Admin
11 posters

Go down

was mick mccarthy proved right ??? Empty was mick mccarthy proved right ???

Post by Admin Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:35 am

big talking point this, mccarthy effectively conceeded defeat before a ball was even kicked by fielding a team of reserves for their clash with man utd. today wolves went on and beat burnley 2-0 when they put out their first team for what was considered a more winnable match.

but was he right to do that, does the win vindicate him or is coyles mantra that all games are winnable the best way to go as afterall anything can happen in football.

its about playing percentages though and weighing up the realistic chances you have to take some points. but, what would happen to the premier league if every team in the lower half put out their reserves and just played a strong team for 6 pointers against the teams in and around them?

Admin
Team Manager

https://bwfcboard.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

was mick mccarthy proved right ??? Empty Re: was mick mccarthy proved right ???

Post by breezeblock Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:37 am

I know one thing, Burnley are shite away from home.
breezeblock
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by holty2 Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:57 am

Going off uniteds performance yesterday perhaps wolves would have got something with their first team playing.
holty2
holty2
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by jayjay23 Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:09 pm

tru tru

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:27 pm

I wouldn't say he was right or wrong. He's the manager. It was his call. It's all accademic whether they would have beat United or lost against Burnley, I think that 6 points is more than he'd ever have dreamed of!

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:58 pm

We'll never know how it might have turned out. MU are not doing well and lost vs. Fulham yesterday. Burnley haven't won away from home this season.

What annoys me is managers like Wenger complaining...who always plays his reserves for cup games and probably some "lesser" league games. And I don't buy the argument that it is ok for him to do that because his reserves are better than some clubs' first team players.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:11 pm

I think Wenger has a point when it comes to the league games Wendy, and you were spot on with your observations about lesser teams putting out there reserves. In reality I think McCarthy may have set a dangerous precedent, because at the end of the day is that being fair to the likes of other teams pushing for the league title?

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislanz Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:07 am

I think if anything, It shows the huge gap in class between the top 4 and everyone else.

i.m.o. mick was right.

chrislanz
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:14 am

pthorpe wrote:I think Wenger has a point when it comes to the league games Wendy, and you were spot on with your observations about lesser teams putting out there reserves. In reality I think McCarthy may have set a dangerous precedent, because at the end of the day is that being fair to the likes of other teams pushing for the league title?

Benitez did the same when playing Fulham when the had the CL Final the following week and lost.

Fergie played his second string against West Ham when they stayed up; would West Ham have beat a full strength United team had they needed to win for the title? Porbably not? He did the same at Hull last season, although, on that occasion, it did not affect the outcome.

I think the whole thing has been blown out of proprtion. It's not like he did this when the players had a week to rest, he did it in a week where they had three games. He is the manager and he has to do what's best for Wolves. I don't think the result of the match should have any baring on whether it was the correct decsion.

This was Man Utd away. There are no guarantees that United wouldn't have beat his first team just as easily.

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo69 Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:48 am

For spectators it was a terrible decision. We fielded a weakened side against Lisbon on the pretext that we had a more winable game against Wigan the following Sunday. We promptly went about loosing to Wigan, after going out in Europe.

McCarthy made a great managerial, and club, decision. He knew he would be hard pressed to beat Utd at Old Trafford, so made major changes to the team to rest his first team outfielders. This decision was vindicated with their victory at the weekend.

Looking at the bigger picture, which I'm sure Mick was doing, it was a good call.

Looking from a fans view, after some fans forked out over £80 to go and watch the reserves, it was a shocker!
hampo69
hampo69
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Mick questioned yesterday why the media weren't up in arms with him on Saturday for changing 9 players from their previous game.

All the negativity and frenzy is instigated by the media and what they say/how they cover or "make" news.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by mangler Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:16 am

Mick McCarthy was right... he's always right.

He knows this, and everyone else should know it too.

The know-it-all Yorkshire bastard!!
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by holty2 Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:11 am

The thing is, where do you draw the line,Is Mcarthy going to play a weakend team against chelsea,or arsenal or whoever is in the top four at the time? To be honest resting players has always bugged me, there is always a possibillity of getting a result against any team in the prem ,particulary this season, look at our game last week ,we were shite, west ham were worse and then they get a draw against chelsea.
holty2
holty2
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by wakeywhite Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:14 pm

To be fair, for the past couple of years we've rested our first team in virtually every game against the top 4.
wakeywhite
wakeywhite
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum