THE BEST BOLTON WANDERERS MESSAGE BOARD
Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» testing
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 am by jayjay23

» Announcement about WAYNEAGAIN
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Announcement.
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Vladimir Weiss SIGNS ON LOAN
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» JayJay.......
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» klasnic - not a legend.
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» now you see it now you dont... but is it right?
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Bolton shop selling knock off coyle stuff! HAHA
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» jussi? drop?
Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Did Megson engineer his own sacking ?

+4
denn
dh1985
mangler
josh8
8 posters

Go down

Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? Empty Did Megson engineer his own sacking ?

Post by josh8 Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:15 am

the more I think about it...... the more I think that Gary
Megson actually engineered his own sacking.....

he was never going to walk out on the job... not while he
was on a 12mth rolling contract.

His decision last night to replace Klasnic with McCann
defied all logic, he states he made similar decisions against West Ham and
Burnley but he replaced a tiring Klasnic with Elmander another striker not a
defensive midfielder ....!

I believe he still lives in Sheffield and is revered over
there and there's still a job going at Sheff Weds.... add that to his quite
impressive CV of keeping us up against all the odds 2 seasons running whilst
having to sell all our better players, taking the club further in Europe......
bringing in kids etc, etc... all this done in the face of the fierce hatred of
the supporters ...!

yeah.... for me... he's got what he wanted... with compen to
come !
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? Empty Re: Did Megson engineer his own sacking ?

Post by mangler Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:22 am

It's an interesting one, Josh. Although I really don't think he'd be that cunning!

When I listened to him on the radio after that game, it became apparent to me that he has a particular view on how the game should be played, and it's not an impressive one.

I think he geniunely believed that taking Klasnic off was the right thing to do. He said he wanted "to hold onto the game" by playing 5 in midfield. He also complained about one or two players bowing to the fans' pressure by breaking forward to try to get another goal. So clearly he believes that cowering in our own box against Hull for the last 15/20 minutes is the right thing to do - even though we've proven quite categorically that we cannot defend for toffee! Even though Hull are even worse than we are at defending, and are there to be attacked and beaten!
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Did Megson engineer his own sacking ? Empty Re: Did Megson engineer his own sacking ?

Post by mangler Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:25 am

PS. he said he made the same decision against West Ham... he didn't!! He took Klasnic off at 82mins to be replaced by Basham - McCann didn't feature. We stole a 3rd goal from a corner in the 88th minute... and that was a corner won by Basham breaking forward and taking a shot - something that Megson has said he doesn't want to see his players doing, and probably a factor in why Basham can't keep a place for love nor money!
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:30 am

But he also knows how the fans feel about McCann.....he wouldn't have got that hostile of a reception for anybody else on that bench....!

I just think he can't have been enjoying the job....he's hardly going to walk away from a £1m pay off... !
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by mangler Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 am

Who knows... might be worth a flutter!!
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:35 am

But, from a career point of view, he knows he will never get another Premiership job unless he gets a team promoted, which is not impossible but unlikely. This was his last chance saloon and last orders have been called. I doubt he'd engineer a way out of the land of miulk and honey.

The payoff is all well and good, but I'm pretty sure he'd have had passed on the million, which considering he was on a rolling contract seems an excessive payout, if he had the opportunity to say a big 'Fuck You, I was right' to all us fans who doubted him!

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by josh8 Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 am

after 2 yrs though he was never going to win the fans over.....so maybe he thought..."do I want to put up with this for another year when my dream job (Sheff Weds) is still vacant ?"

just a thought !!
josh8
josh8
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by mangler Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:51 am

Maybe he's sizing up the Hull job when Brownie gets the bullet from the new chairman... I imagine he'll be next to go in the Prem.
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by denn Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Josh, we have just discussed this during an afternoon session in the Atherton Arms and other local establishments. Megson does live in Yorkshire but spends a lot of time in the devere hotel. Sheff Wed will be his destination make no mistake. It did seem rather odd not replacing a forward with a forward creating such a fuss that even the mildest of personalities could not curtail his anger. It`s over and done, all we now have to worry about is the same bloke who appointed him will be the same who appoints the next. One thing we can look forward to is seeing the ground full eh?.

Denn
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Ground full? Not likely. I still expect the fickle support to continue well in to the future even if we appoint Mourinho as manager!

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by tim_rigby Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Garbage, if we appointed Coyle the ground would be full and we would sell a huge number of half-season tickets. We are not fickle, we just are not willing to accept the garbage we have been having served up.

tim_rigby
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislanz Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:02 pm

SO what you are saying is,( ITS A CUNNING PLAN )

Megson gets himself sacked knowing a job is waiting for him in sheffield.

Whispers in McCann's ear, regular football, 2 year contract, good money, etc. And come with me!!

Gavin would be his first transfer.

Hey Presto!!!

William hills would give good odds on that......

chrislanz
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by tim_rigby Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:05 pm

The dream team re-united, we can only hope so. If Bolton have any sense they won't pay him out for a while and see what happens, if he gets another job we will have to pay him less.

tim_rigby
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by dh1985 Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:13 pm

tim_rigby wrote:Garbage, if we appointed Coyle the ground would be full and we would sell a huge number of half-season tickets. We are not fickle, we just are not willing to accept the garbage we have been having served up.

We had an average attendance of 24,000 when Sam was giving us the best results we'd had in half a century.

Contraray to what you believe, the reason we don't have a full house each week is not solely down to Megson. Attendances were dropping prior to his arrival, he just sped up to process.

Even with Coyle, or another suitable replacement, I'd expect an average attendance of no more than 22-23,000. He's an ex player who played 50 games for us. If it wasn't for youtube, half the fans wanking over him wouldn't know who he was. Hell, if it wasn't for that playoff goal, I'd probably have forgotten who he was!

The only way we'll get the ground full is if we get relegated for 5 years or so and then get promoted to the Premiership again when it's a novelty again!

dh1985
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by breezeblock Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:23 pm

tim_rigby wrote:The dream team re-united, we can only hope so. If Bolton have any sense they won't pay him out for a while and see what happens, if he gets another job we will have to pay him less.
I doubt his contract hasn't over-written that section of Employment Law, especially after what happened to him when he left WBA.
breezeblock
breezeblock
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:01 pm

I seriously doubt that he was earning more than about 300k a year, so depending on how much was left on this year's rolling contract, he'd get a percentage of that.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by tim_rigby Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:53 am

There will either be a settlement figure in his contract or they can keep paying his salary as they were doing if they think he will get a job, which would affect his compensation unless there is a specific figure in the contract. I, as usual have no idea what you are talking about breeze.

tim_rigby
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by mangler Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:28 am

Purlease... let's not start another legal-bollox-speak-jargon thread about the severance terms of Meggo's contract!! The guy's gone -rejoice!
mangler
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:37 pm

Any money we have to pay will be money well spent to shut the door on Megson.

Pay the man off asap and let's close the door on this horrible part of our recent history.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down