THE BEST BOLTON WANDERERS MESSAGE BOARD
Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» testing
The two tier premiership thing... EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 am by jayjay23

» Announcement about WAYNEAGAIN
The two tier premiership thing... EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Announcement.
The two tier premiership thing... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Vladimir Weiss SIGNS ON LOAN
The two tier premiership thing... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» JayJay.......
The two tier premiership thing... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» klasnic - not a legend.
The two tier premiership thing... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» now you see it now you dont... but is it right?
The two tier premiership thing... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Bolton shop selling knock off coyle stuff! HAHA
The two tier premiership thing... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» jussi? drop?
The two tier premiership thing... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The two tier premiership thing...

+3
bigsamsarmyusa
denn
jayjay23
7 posters

Go down

The two tier premiership thing... Empty The two tier premiership thing...

Post by jayjay23 Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:58 am

Wendy said:
"Presumably we would be sitting in the 2nd tier of the league though and, as such, get much less money than we get now.

Redknapp, Moyes and O'Neill all agree that Celtic and Rangers should be in the league. Does that mean they are interested in the 2-tier league too; or do they think 2 English clubs should give up their spots? Maybe we should void promotion for a season and just slot them in once the 2 bottom teams are relegated?"

Who thinks a 2 tier premiership with no more promotion/relegation is a good idea? I personally think it would ruin evrything that football is about.

The big four would still be the big four or five. After that the next 15 teams or so are in a constant and varied battle for places. The two tier Premiership would completely lose this competition between clubs. How would you decide who would be in the top 10 and who would be in the second ten?

A couple of seasons ago, pompy, west ham and reading were finishing in the top half and if we made the split at that time those teams would be forever in the top half, even if they are no longer good enough. As it stands Reading are now in the relegation zone in the championship, and pompy are in real trouble at the bottom of what would be the second tier. If we look even further back, teams like Oldham, Leeds, Norwich, Ipswich, Coventry, Sheff Wed, Derby, Palace, Boro, Forest, Charlton, Swindon, Wimbledon, and Southampton were all in the top flight, many of whom are now wallowing in league 1 football. If they hadn't been relegated and were in the top tier of the Premiership then Man Utd and co would be effectively playing league 1 sides week in week out.

Maybe without having to fight for survival every year teams would be allowed to slip more and more. Without the threat of relegation would the clubs be as keen to put money into the club to improve it? Where is the incentive. Football would inevitibly slip downwards in quality, not get better.

Anyone got thoughts?

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

The two tier premiership thing... Empty Re: The two tier premiership thing...

Post by denn Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 am

We all know what Celtic and Rangers would bring to England, yes chaos. I personaly would rather see these two clubs rot in their own league than have to endure them in ours. The powers that be once discussed that they could begin by allowing them into our League cup, it all went quiet. They are from another country, well those from Scotland continuously tell us so. By allowing them to play in our league would be giving in to Fifa`s proposals of uniting our countries and forming a Great Britain team. My opinion is to leave well alone and fcuk Scotland off once and for all. Oh, and if I had my way Id fukc the other three teams off to the Welsh league where they belong.
denn
denn
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by jayjay23 Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:18 pm

well said that man...

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:44 pm

I was being sarcastic when I wrote that about Celtic & Rangers.

The last few seasons have been more exciting because of a relegation battle, not because of the top 2, 3 or 4 teams trying to win the league.

Personally, I have no interest in who wins the league. I just care about us staying up.

Without promotion/relegation, there is nothing for teams 8-20 to fight for and there is nothing at all to play for in the Championship.

I don't want a two-tier league with no promotion/relegation. However, I do agree with Gartside that the money distribution has to be looked at because there is a complete imbalance that is highly detrimental to the poor/small clubs that have managed to play themselves into the Premier League and now are having to try and gamble their future financially to stay in the league. Once they've started spending big to stay in it, they then have to spend more the next season more to stay in it and compete, so they get further and further into debt just to stave off relegation.

Bolton are in that position along with a fair few other clubs. Something has to be done.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by jayjay23 Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:43 am

Do you know how the money is distributed? I dont think its too bad, the top team, the champions get about 50 million for winning and the bottom team gets about 30 million. All the tams in between get money on a sliding scale. How much fairer can it be? There must be a reward for winning, its not just a friendly game its a competition.

The person knocked out of Wimbledon first doesnt get the same prize as the winner.

Also the clubs lower down the table get a decent share of the tv money too dont they, they get paid money towards games based on showing 10 games per season, even if they only appear in one.

What do you think PG is expecting to be done?

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:49 am

I think the whole idea is too stupid for words. Promotion and relegation has been with us for over 100 years so why change it now. I agree there is a problem but PG's idea does not address it, it skirts around it. The powers that be should strap on a set b***s and fix it.

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by Haydock Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:31 am

Not suprisingly Gartside's ideas have been rejected (and just about ridiculed):

"The clubs welcomed the additional input into an ongoing process, however, they were of the opinion that bringing Celtic and Rangers into any form of Premier League set-up was not desirable or viable.
"

Haydock
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislanz Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:10 pm

I.m.o. it could have been a good thing. With money, and a top coach, celtic probably more than rangers, again i.m.o. would be a top four club within 5 or 6 years.

The ground would be full....twice, and any trouble would have been
dealt with.

I think the big four said, NO way jimmy!!!

chrislanz
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:54 pm

I disagree that C/R would be top 4 material within years; well, not based on their current income/debt ratio. Without CL football money, they are no better off than BW or other similar sized clubs and, as such, would be competing for the same type of players.
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislanz Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:04 am

But wendy, celtic get around 45 thousand more bums on seats than us, and that in itself is a lot of money.

b.t.w. hows your injury?.

chrislanz
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:29 pm

I go to see the podiatrist on Tuesday and will find out what is next. Right now I'm in a camboot (knee high) and it is a right pain as it is heavy and cumbersome. The two tier premiership thing... Icon_rolleyes
bigsamsarmyusa
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo69 Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:56 am

If they arrived in a 2 tier Premiership, we'd be pushed out into the second tier and languish there for the remainder of time.
With no sign of relegation performances really would become dire, even compared to recent years.
How are teams going to attract class players with no prospects to play for?

I'm sure the fact that Celtic and Rangers manage to drag in so many 'bums' is due to the size of Glasgow and the dullness of Scottish footbal in general.
What else is there to do in Glasgow, except drink yourself into a Rab C. Nesbit typed stupor?

Glad to see it's been voted against.
hampo69
hampo69
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:05 am

So no more Morris dancing for a while then Wendy ?

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo69 Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:48 am

I used to do a spot of Morris dancing.
I kept falling off the bonnet.
After that i tried a little tap dancing.
Trouble was, I kept ending up in the sink.
hampo69
hampo69
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by pthorpe Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Ever thought of going on the stage Mark? There's one leaving Tuesday afternoon at 3 pm!!!

pthorpe
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo69 Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:50 pm

I was once on the stage in the West End.
Brushing up!
hampo69
hampo69
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum